Re-Born to be Alive Organ Donor Foundation has this ad out to promote organ donations:
There are several stupid things about this ad:
1. Working for or promoting a good cause (organ donation) does not grant you the license to use whatever means you want to market the cause. Sexualizing, objectifying and commodifying a woman to promote organ donations is not acceptable. It’s just sexist.
2. Donating one’s organs is an act of compassion and altruism, which are two good qualities. You don’t need to have a sexy almost naked lady to encourage people to do good acts that help someone who is in need, to do good acts that can save people’s lives. But of course, a sexy almost naked lady is more marketable than kindness and compassion. Sickening.
3. This ad does not make sense. Is it supposed to suggest that donating your organs is just like having sex? …Because it’s actually not. Not at all.
4. Like many other ads, it promotes ultra thinness as the ideal. Having an ultra thin sexy woman as the face for this organ donation campaign reinforces a hierarchy of bodies (in which skinny is at the top) seems to suggest that only these bodies (super skinny and therefore sexy ones) deserve critical organ donations which can save lives.
5. This is condescending and insulting to men (who are obviously the targeted audience) because it assumes that menfolk will do anything if there’s a sexy almost naked (or fully naked) lady around.
6. Organ donations have nothing to do with sex and almost naked ladies, so don’t make it about that!!!!